Is your company looking for the most cost-effective method of collecting and removing your waste? In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about local skip hire for commercial use and cheap skip hire prices.
The use to hire a skip bin is convenient for removing large quantities of waste materials, such as general waste, construction waste, soil, garden debris, and metal waste. Whether you need to empty your office building or clear out a construction site, our skips are ideal. InspireWaste’s wide selection of skip types ensures we have the right skip for every project and waste type.
How much to hire a skip?
Perhaps you are thinking, how much is it to hire a skip near me? This question depends on what type of skip you are looking for. From 6 yards to 40 yards, we offer a wide range of skip sizes with a yard roll.
A container of six and eight-yard skip is commonly used for domestic or office clear-outs, as well as smaller building projects. Their capacity is equivalent to 65 and 80 bin bags.
Often used for larger quantities of waste and bulky items, mega skips are between 10 and 18 yards in size.
The size of a roll-on roll-off skip ranges from 20 to 40-yard skip. Suitable for large industrial and construction sites, these units are ideal for business projects. 440 bin bags can be stored in 40-yard skip containers.
You can hire an open skip (walk-in skips) or an enclosed skip (easy-load skips) from our commercial skip hire service to prevent contamination of the environment.
These skips are helpful for different types of businesses, but they all cost different amounts. Our prices are competitive with other UK waste management companies, and our experts can advise you on what skip your business might need, as well as give you a quote.
The approximate prices to hire a skip from InspireWaste are*:
How much does it cost to hire a skip? Look at our range of rubbish removal prices to see what you may pay.
General Waste skips hire pricing
- 8yd skip hire – £249 + VAT
- 14yd skip hire – £349 + VAT
- RoRo 40yd skip – transport £150 + VAT per trip
Other skip hire costs
- General waste disposal £160 + VAT per tonne, minimum charge 2 tonne
- Timber recycling £30 + VAT per tonne, minimum charge 2 tonne
- Metal recycling – rebate paid of £150 + VAT per tonne collected, minimum 1 tonne
*The prices listed in this article are only accurate as of the date of publication and may be subject to change.
We’ve got you covered!
Get a quote
Costs associated with local skip hire
There are many factors that influence your skip hire cost in the UK, and here is a comprehensive list of the most important ones people search for:
- Skip size: A skip’s size determines the price you will have to pay to rent it. As the size gets larger, the price will increase.
- Timeframe: Typically, skip hire is done for a specific period of time, but English weather can prolong your project and therefore the hire period, which affects the price.
- Collection Area: Skip hire prices vary across the country. London’s skip hire rates are higher than those in other parts of the country. With local depots all over the country, InspireWaste Management can always tailor a price to meet your needs.
- Permits: Skip permits are necessary if the skip will be placed on council land. It will cost you a fee to apply for council permission.
- Fines: There are certain waste materials that you can’t discard in a skip. Having done so may result in a fine.
- Waste removal: When you hire a rubbish skip, you will be responsible for removing the rubbish yourself. There may be additional costs to hire a waste removal team if waste cannot be put in a skip.
- Other: Keep in mind whether the quoted price for skip hire costs includes VAT or not when speaking to waste management companies. Cheapest skip hire prices often exclude VAT and you may end up overpaying.
How long can you hire a skip for?
You can hire a skip for a single day or a multiple-day period. For most skip hires, 7-10 days is the most popular duration. If needed, more extended hire periods can be arranged.
There are certain items you cannot put in a skip
- Anti – freeze
- Biological waste
- Chemical Containers
- Computer Monitors
- Corrosive liquids
- Fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent Tubes/light bulbs
- Gas canisters
- Laboratory waste
- Medical waste
- Motor oil
- Paint Cans
- TV and computer monitors
- Vehicle batteries
- Waste oils
Business skip hire services here
Get a quote
Skip hire permits requirement
Without a skip licence, you can be fined for placing the wrong form of waste in a skip. Local councils issue council permits for all skips, whether mini skips or large skips. This is especially true if it is hazardous to the environment, like asbestos, electrical appliances or certain paints and oils. A skip hire permit is needed for UK nationwide skip hire (excludes Northern Ireland).
Take a look at our website if you are unsure and want to contact us.
You must search what skip bin you want and the waste type you want to deal with and send the right size filled skip to the landfill. Any unwanted items and heavy materials you decide to put in the rubbish, you can contact us to request a quote, and we can explain our cost guide for hire as well as discuss a UK council permit.
Skips can be placed in your driveway if you use the service exclusively for domestic purposes, but not on public paths or roads.
Local authorities can fine individuals up to £1,000 for placing skips on roads without a skip hire licence.
It is required to have a waste transfer note to dispose of industrial or commercial waste (including recycling rubbish in UK centres, not just a landfill). Even if there is a short period between skip hire and disposal, you must sign and keep this note for two years.
When hiring out their commercial skips, a skip hire company (such as Inspire Waste Management) include this note and will handle the maintenance of regulations. The government website also offers the option of downloading a waste transfer note.
Among the information that should be included to hire a skip are:
- Information about the waste’s properties and description
- The method of storage (e.g. skip, bags)
- The skip hire company that will dispose of the waste
- The full name of the waste owner
- The team that will collect it in the UK
How to save money when you hire a skip
There are many ways you might be able to save money when paying for a skip. A skip company cannot only help with a skip permit for your skip bin (any size skip bin, including mini skips and larger skips) but also get rid of any waste collected with no additional fees or hidden costs.
Here are some methods to do so:
1. Select a Suitable Skip Size
In many cases, people hire skips that are too large for the amount of rubbish they need to discard. The cost of bigger skips is higher than for smaller skips, which results in a much higher bill for them.
A skip can typically range in size from 4 to 8-yard skip, with the latter only suitable for large amounts of waste.
It would be helpful if all of your disposable items were gathered in one location so that you would know exactly how much waste you have. Hire a skip according to the yard skip sizes you estimate the skip will need, but our experts can also help you figure this out too.
2. Identify and Separate Unsuitable Items
Electronic gadgets, batteries and canisters cannot be disposed of in landfills because they contain hazardous material. This includes:
- Mobile phone batteries
- Propellant gases
- Lithium-ion batteries
Yard skip services typically charge more because these items must be disposed of elsewhere. Alternatively, you can hand them over to a recycling service, saving room in a skip you hire and preventing any potential damage to the environment.
You can also reuse any items that are in working condition and simply need a repair, rather than disposing of them and spending money on both a skip service and a new, similar item, for example.
3. Reuse Materials
When people dispose of their rubbish, they usually throw away several reusable items. Besides adding to the overall volume of waste, this requires a much larger skip, which inevitably costs more. Think about what your business can reuse before throwing it away!
4. Book in Advance
In a lot of cases, skip services charge based on time. It will most likely cost you more for a skip rental if you need it urgently.
The service charges of most skip services can be significantly lowered if you reserve a skip service a week to 10 days in advance. Additionally, the waste clearance can be prepared several weeks or days in advance.
How to hire a skip?
To hire a skip, call us at, 0800 002 9282 or get a quote below.
Benefits of hiring a skip with us
We offer competitive, reliable, and compliant services as well as ISO certification for added assurance.